Chartwell House on the Kent/Surrey borders is the former home of Sir Winston Churchill and is owned by the National Trust.
The National Trust actually acquired Chartwell 18 years before Winston’s death. The Churchill family found the upkeep of such a large estate very expensive and allowed a group of businessmen to purchase it for £50,000 who then offered it the National Trust in 1946/47. Their one condition was that Winston and Clementine could continue to live there for as long as they wished.
Clarke Roofing carried out a re-roof of the property in 2008 with 600 of the new clay tiles made and signed by members of the public including members of the Churchill family.
There was also extensive leadwork, carpentry, cast iron rainwater replacement and decoration completed by the Clarke Roofing team.
The National Trust property was covered by an impressive five storeys of scaffolding during the six-month reroofing project which was valued at over £500,000.
The existing tiles, thought to date back to 1922, were replaced with locally produced Keymer handmade clay tiles and Sir Winston Churchill's great-grandson, Randolph Churchill laid the last of the 30,000 Keymer clay tiles in a topping-out ceremony to celebrate the completion of the roof.
Sir Winston lived at Chartwell with his family for over 40 years from 1922 until his death in 1965.
Chartwell is an impressive property and Clarke Roofing were pleased to have worked on such an important building having such historical value for British Heritage.